http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z104/danielle982/2011/Two%20Little%20Tots/twolittletotsnavigation4.png

May 5, 2010

sewing, sewing and a little bit random!

warning...this post is a little random...sorry about that, but all fun topics...i am just random today! 


i have been a busy little sewing bee the last few days.  working on a few orders, that are almost done and then i have to tackle the big sewing to do list...making new inventory for a cute fabric and yarn shop in stillwater that sells some of my goodies!  darn.knit.anyway is such a cute shop, i just love going to get my fabric there.

i did get a few more goodies in the shop, check them out and more goodies are coming...soon!
 

 
again, if you don't see a fabric option, please email me...i have tons of fabric in stock, just waiting for me to sew into something pretty! email me at: twolittletots@comcast.net.

i have been struggling a lot with my sewing space...really,  it is not an 'space', more like an area!  i don't have beautiful sewing room, oh, how i wish i did, but i don't.  and really, i don't want a room yet.  my sewing space is part of our downstairs family room, so the girls can play, i can watch tv, i can visit with the hubby at night...so it is nice to be in a central location in the house and be able to sew.  but, the space is not working for me right now...a few issues that i am struggling with:
  • everyone sees it...and it can get messy, because it is not user friendly right now.  i don't like people to see my house a mess...i pick up everything before someone comes over...everything!  i am crazy like that!
  • i don't have a cutting table...that would be the floor or a card table...not really fun to get the card table out when i need to cut.
  • all of my supplies are in a storage closet, which is only 5 feet away, but i get sick of getting up when i change thread or need ribbon...and i hate having it all out everywhere when i am working.
  • my machine is in a table...that table is just not big enough
  • my chair...sucks!  need a new one, it is a card table chair!
  • storage, there is none by my machine, i need this!  just after i typed this up...kaylin unrolled 30+ yards of ribbon that was on my sewing table...case in point, i need some closed storage!
here is a picture of my space and right now that is clean!

 that is because i made some space in the storage closet for my 'WIP'  work in process area...that is what we called things at Target HQ!  so, i place all of my 'to' sew stuff on a shelf, which helps.  but, the supplies not by me...driving me crazy and the table, driving me crazy...it is not cute!  i want something cute, functional and looks okay in this space, because the sewing stuff is not moving, so i have to get it to work for me, since i sew everyday of the week!


any ideas...would love to hear them!  i am checking out a few options at ikea, but really i don't have a clue what to do there...so please share if you have a great idea!


on another note, the girls have shorten their nap...really shorten it.  i use to have 3 hours to myself at nap time, not anymore...about an hour and half is all i get now.  so i have to really have to get my must do's done during that time...this has been hard, but i am learning that i can work when they are up...and they can play with each other and that is great!  


monday was a no nap day in our house...they just didn't want a nap and i was not going to fight it.  but, this is how i found mara around 4...she was playing and then it was quite...
i guess she couldn't take it anymore...and just fell asleep right in the middle of her toys.  she is so much like her daddy...he can sleep anywhere, so not me.  i need my bed!


dont' forget...any ideas for my sewing space, i want to hear them!
happy wednesday...half way done with the week!  yay!  


and one last thing...happy birthday to my father-in-law...hope you have a wonderful day! 

5 comments:

  1. yes, your own space would be great!!! I hope you get one soon:) I used to sew at the table (before I had a shop) and it was just silly. I LOVE that I have my own "studio"! We have a 7 bedroom house and I selfishly took one as my Studio and one for a huge closet! :))) The boys share a room and I love that they do:)
    I have been on a sewing kick lately. I have already started making my Christmas ornaments in hopes that the magazine exposure will give me a little extra sales. I also am already getting ready for a show in August. It may be the only one I do.
    Anyways I think I have rambled enough.
    I think Ikea may be your best option right now:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how you feel. I am in the middle of my "workspace" redo. It is our family office, where I previously home-schooled. Now that we are done with that, I took over with all my crafting supplies. I just blogged about my space a couple days ago, if you want to look. I still need to get some organization stuff for all my paper. But then, I'll be done.

    Here's the link if you want to look: 2cutenot2share.blogspot.com

    It's amazing the difference a cute basket or cute jar can make. If it's nice to look at, it makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my cutting table is from joann's and it collapses to be like 13" wide by 30" long but folds out to be huge. you could put it behind your sewing table when not it use. i stand when i create at my cutting table or ironing board and only sit to sew. what if you got a cute basket or tote to keep all of your sewing essentials and put it on your table when you were "working", and then put it away when you were done? or a roll out storage unit to fit under the table that you could put in the closet when you are done. you'd just have to "set up shop" when you were ready to sew, and put it all away in the end. ikea really is great. i found tons of stuff for my studio. i'm actually going to move my studio into our front room to make room for baby. yikes. the expedit shelving units are awesome. the canvas bins they carry fit perfectly and make the space look tidy, and baby/toddler proof. (sort of). not sure if you're attached the sewing table, but if you put your machine on a regular table/desk, it would give you more usable space and options for permanent storage. just a thought. happy sewing! can't wait to see what you create!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you are thinking of different furniture and have the ability (or know someone who does), check out this blog: http://www.knock-offwood.com/ She hacks big name furniture and gives easy, afforable plans for building the furniture. As for Ikea, my entire craft room is Ikea furniture! I love it and it was a great option. My room is more oriented towards scrapbooking and my sewing machine lives on a folding table in another room! lol :) I'm also on the hunt for suggestions, so I'm curious to see what you end up doing. In the meantime, I'd be happy to e-mail you some pics of my Ikea furnished craftroom if you think it would be useful to see their stuff in action! I have one wall with floor to ceiling cabinets (solid doors on bottom third, glass doors on upper two-thirds), a desk, a corner covered desk cabinet (floor to ceiling) a bookcase with filing drawer on bottom, a nightstand used as a table and a cabinet of drawers (the only non-Ikea piece in the room).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the folding table option Amanda suggests.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment--Melissa