http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z104/danielle982/2011/Two%20Little%20Tots/twolittletotsnavigation4.png

June 9, 2010

what's in a name?

i feel a little bad, because my post have been lacking this week...no 365 pages done or posted, not a lot of k&m post, which was my goal this week.  

the house project has taken over our lives this week, between hunting for the right lights and then picking out the right color to pain the shutters, i was just exhausted by it all.  and then the stress of the bad weather, but things are moving along and i am happy with how things are looking!

but, now for the fun...a post about k&m...

first, i can't believe in 3 days, they will be 3.  i don't know where the time as gone.  they are getting so big...they don't have that little baby look in their faces anymore, but that little girl look to them.  and they talk like little girls...at times i think kaylin is 3 going on 13!  and i worry if she is saying the sassy things to be now, i am in big trouble when she is 13.

what's in a name?
i have always wanted to pick out names for my children that meant something special and were unique...one of a kind.  

how kaylin rose got her name:
todd actually was the one who picked out kaylin's name.  my middle is kay and we always wanted to use that name for one of our daughters.  it was first going to be kaylee, but then another gruber had a kaylee, so it was back to the drawing board.  todd found it and we both feel in love with!  rose is todd's great-grandmother's name and we both really loved it.

so what does kaylin rose mean?
KAYLIN- (2 parts)
1st- Kay means fun loving, 2nd-Lin means beautiful
ROSE means blushing beauty

Kaylin Rose you are a fun loving, beautiful blushing beauty and your name fits you so well!  We call you Kay for short a lot these days and I love it!

now missy mara...that is what we like to call her, this is how she got her name mara anne:
i LOVED the name mara for years.  todd on the other hand didn't love it right away, but it grew on him.  when we found out we were having 2 girls...we knew right away one would be mara!  anne was todd's grandma's name.  i have always loved that name too and it just fit together.  

so the meaning of mara anne is:
MARA means thoughtful believer
ANNE  means loving; hospitable

Mara Anne you are a thoughtful believer, loving; hospitable and your name fits you so well too!   We like to call you Little Missy Mara, which really fits you well...you are SO little, I can't believe it...all of your features are just tiny and cute!

So how did we decided who got what name?
Todd  was the one who decided.  When I was pregnant with the girls, he thought Kaylin would be a blonde and Mara would have dark hair...now we have two little blonde girls on our hands and I love it!  
The nurse asked him who was who while I was in recovery and he told her Kaylin will be the blonde and Mara will be one with the darker hair, but we have to run that past Melissa first before anything is final.  I remember them wheeling my bed up to the girls a few hours after they were born, I was still a little out of it.  The nurse asked me right away, are you okay with the names...this one is Kaylin and this one is Mara?  All I could think of was how little they were, I could not believe it and how helpless I felt as their mom at that moment.  They were laying in this little oxygen tents, with just a diaper on.  They were breathing so hard and they were just so little...I was in shock.  I said the names are perfect!

And if you look at these pictures when they were first born, you can see Mara had a little bit darker hair then Kaylin.

Mara about 10 hours old

 Kaylin at 10 hours old
Looking at these pictures, I really don't know if I could have another 3 pound baby. At the time, I think I was okay with it, because I knew it was a good possibility that it could happen.  But, now I am not sure if I could handle it again.  They were so little, I can't even remember how little they really were.  Now when I see a newborn who is 7 pounds, I think...they are so little and my babies were half that size!  It is crazy to me.


does your daughter or son have a special name and story behind it?  i would love to hear it!

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I love both your girls' names. No kiddos for me yet, but I can't *wait* to have babies of my own to name. I've got a few up my sleeve :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you shared your name stories. I love baby naming spent countless hours dreaming up possibilities during my pregnancies. When I was pregnant with Avery, we went back and forth a lot on names, but as soon as he suggested Avery, I fell in love with it. At that time, you didn't hear it much for girls. Avery means "noble" and her middle name is Rose, a family name on Ed's side. Boy names were hard because we didn't want something weird, but still needed something a little different. We both thought Davis fit the criteria perfectly! It means "son of the beloved." His middle name, Joseph, is both Ed's and his dad's middle name and means "Jehovah increases." Sadie means "princess" and it fits her to a tee! Her middle name is "Jane," which is my mom's name, and it means "God's gracious gift." All my kids are the best gift I've ever received, so I love that meaning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great story! I love that you documented this -- would make for a great scrapbook page for your cute little girls. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading about how people chose names! And, what beautiful names you picked out!
    Here is a link to why we named the girls what we did:
    http://thelarsonlingo.blogspot.com/2008/10/whats-in-name.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. p.s. how early were they? they were only 3 lbs? that is so tiny!!! Claire was 9 lbs 6 oz. yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What lovely names (and lovely meanings)! Happy early birthday to your sweet, beautiful girls. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. They girls' newborn photos are nearly heartbreaking, but they're such thriving little individuals now! Love it. My Waverly was named after a character from "The Joy Luck Club," which couldn't be more fitting for the fiesty five year old she is today. I think Griffin's name came about while I was watching comedienne Kathy Griffin on TV and thought that her last name was cool. And there you have it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thomas Andrew - named after my husband (Andrew) and his father figure growing up (Thomas).

    Elizabeth Jean - Elizabeth was just a solid name that went well with Thomas and Jean is my mother's name. Ellie, her nickname, was my way of making sure Andy didn't follow through on his promise to call her "Lizard." :)

    Samuel Dennis - Again, a solid traditional name that fit the others with Dennis being both my dad and Andy's dad's name.

    We have a middle name for a girl (Marie - Andy's mom, the only grandparent's name not used yet), but since we don't plan on having any more kids, she's kind of out of luck. :)

    Fun stories. It's amazing seeing the girls so little. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The meaning of my daughters name was really important to me.
    Her name is Ashlynn Taylor and it means Dream Maker. She has definitely more than fulfilled our wildest dreams!

    I love reading about your love for your daughters. They are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment--Melissa