the one issue i have is...having twins, there are not a lot of good books about parenting twins out there...if anyone knows of one, please let me know! i always say i could write a book about it...not that there is a lot of things that are different, but it is not like having one child!
so here is my favorite parenting books...check them out if you feel they would be helpful!
by: Marc Weissbluth
This book has been wonderful. I wanted to make sure at an early age the girls were good sleepers and this book lays it out so nicely for you at every age...that is what I love the best.
I remember when the girls were taking too long of a morning nap and then not wanting to take an afternoon nap...I was going crazy! I opened up the book and read about how to move back the morning nap, so it would become the one afternoon nap...it was a painfully 2 months of moving their nap back up 15 minutes every 5 or 7 days, but so worth it. I think they started taking a nap at 11ish and by the end of the summer I had to move to 12:30, almost 1!
And this little girl...she has been the BEST little sleeper ever! I can count on one hand how many times she has gotten up in the middle of the night. And she was sleeping through the night at 4 months old!
I really feel this books has helped us teach the girls how to sleep...and sleep well, in their beds. We are still working on the whole jack-n-the-box issue at night, but that is getting better too...thank goodness!
Touchpoints Birth to Three
by: T. Berry Brazelton
Another favorite book of mine...and now I need to get the next one, which is ages 3-6. This book was very helpful when the girls were babies. Details out the different stages and milestones very nicely.
And it was the book that I read when Mara was having so many issues after she turned a year and I put her on whole milk. I read this book about allergies and figured out...she is allergic to milk...sure enough the test confirmed she was!
1,2,3 Magic
by: Thomas W. Phelan
This one I just read a few months ago and LOVED it! It deals with discipline for ages 2-12...again I love the fact that it talks about it at different ages! It has really helped us with disciplining the girls.
You have to read chapters 1-10...they are short before you can start using the '1,2,3' magic, but it works! Now, I typically get to a 2 and whatever bad behavior the girls are doing stops, because they know, if I get to a 3 they are in a timeout for 3 minutes.
I know this list is not that long, but these 3 books have been huge helpers in our house. Even my neighbor down the street who has 4 kids...her 2 youngest are twins...read the Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child book and now gives it as a baby shower gift!
If you have any great parenting books you love, please let me know...I am looking for more to stock up on.
by: Marc Weissbluth
This book has been wonderful. I wanted to make sure at an early age the girls were good sleepers and this book lays it out so nicely for you at every age...that is what I love the best.
I remember when the girls were taking too long of a morning nap and then not wanting to take an afternoon nap...I was going crazy! I opened up the book and read about how to move back the morning nap, so it would become the one afternoon nap...it was a painfully 2 months of moving their nap back up 15 minutes every 5 or 7 days, but so worth it. I think they started taking a nap at 11ish and by the end of the summer I had to move to 12:30, almost 1!
And this little girl...she has been the BEST little sleeper ever! I can count on one hand how many times she has gotten up in the middle of the night. And she was sleeping through the night at 4 months old!
I really feel this books has helped us teach the girls how to sleep...and sleep well, in their beds. We are still working on the whole jack-n-the-box issue at night, but that is getting better too...thank goodness!
Touchpoints Birth to Three
by: T. Berry Brazelton
Another favorite book of mine...and now I need to get the next one, which is ages 3-6. This book was very helpful when the girls were babies. Details out the different stages and milestones very nicely.
And it was the book that I read when Mara was having so many issues after she turned a year and I put her on whole milk. I read this book about allergies and figured out...she is allergic to milk...sure enough the test confirmed she was!
1,2,3 Magic
by: Thomas W. Phelan
This one I just read a few months ago and LOVED it! It deals with discipline for ages 2-12...again I love the fact that it talks about it at different ages! It has really helped us with disciplining the girls.
You have to read chapters 1-10...they are short before you can start using the '1,2,3' magic, but it works! Now, I typically get to a 2 and whatever bad behavior the girls are doing stops, because they know, if I get to a 3 they are in a timeout for 3 minutes.
I know this list is not that long, but these 3 books have been huge helpers in our house. Even my neighbor down the street who has 4 kids...her 2 youngest are twins...read the Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child book and now gives it as a baby shower gift!
If you have any great parenting books you love, please let me know...I am looking for more to stock up on.
happy parenting!

thanks for posting those! I just ordered the healthy sleeping habits!
ReplyDeleteWe swear by the Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child book. It is always part of any baby gift I give. Hopefully, it will help our newest little one become as good of a sleeper as her siblings. We love the Touchpoints book as well, although I probably should spend more time reading it! Looking forward to reading 1, 2, 3 Magic!
ReplyDeleteI saw Mary Krushinka in person (the Spirited Child author) last winter, and she was amazing! Her other books are good too.
ReplyDeleteI also like Barbara Coloroso, and she deals with not only kids this age, but older as well.
The 10 Basic Principles of Parenting is my new favorite, as is "No!" by David Walsh. Good stuff.
I also loved, loved, loved the Healthy Sleep Habits book...helped us a ton with Thomas and Sam. Ellie didn't need any help - she's been like Kaylin, a champion sleeper from day one.
Good list Melissa!