http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z104/danielle982/2011/Two%20Little%20Tots/twolittletotsnavigation4.png

May 20, 2010

thursday tip: meal planning

ever since i started staying at home, i have really worked hard at sitting down to plan our meals...i would not say i am the best at this, because i could go out any night of the week, but that is just not possible.  so, i typically sit down once a week and figure out what we will have for dinner.

this is my system...nothing fancy!  i made a sheet in word that i print off every month...it looks like this and i keep it in my planner!


i do it week by week, because for me doing a month is just too much.  and i typically go grocery shopping once a week...or maybe twice...based on what we need and when!

why this helps me:
  • i can see what we have already had...i really try to change it up, but it is hard with the girls.
  • what i need to get at the store-this helps a lot.  i have not been making a list that much these days, but just bring my meal planning sheet, since i know what i need based on that
  • saves some money too!
  • i don't have to worry at 4, what is for dinner!
  • i don't make different meals for the girls...we all eat the same thing...so i tell them typically at lunch, this is what we are having for dinner, it seems to go over well in this house...like i am warning them...dinner is this and you have to try it!
here are 2 of the girl's favorite meals right now, but i have lots more...so please let me know if you are looking for some new meals to make...that are kid friendly and easy!

Lemon Chicken & Broccoli  Pasta-totally made this up myself years ago, before we had the girls!  It is a favorite for the whole fam!

Things you need:
-Chicken Breast-16-20 oz.
-Fresh broccoli
-Lemon Juice
-EVOO
-Lemon Pepper seasoning
-Penne Pasta


Directions:
1. Chicken Breast-cut up...I typically use 3 breast, cook on med. heat and season with Lemon Pepper
2.  As chicken is cooking...mix the sauce, which is about 1.5-2 cups of lemon juice and a half of cup of EVOO.  Shake up before you add to the chicken.
3. Cut up and add the broccoli and add the lemon sauce, let cook over med. for a few minutes...while the noddles cook. 
4.  Make penne noddles
5.  Serve chicken & broccoli over penne...and enjoy!
 

Bow-Tie Pasta with Ham & Peas...you could do something else too...if you are not a pea fan!  by Martha!

What you need:-1 pound bow-tie pasta
-Salt & Pepper
-3 tablespoons butter
-some onion, diced
-2 cups of peas
-1 cup half and half
-1/2 pound cooked ham
-grated parmesan cheese


Directions:
1.  Cook pasta according to package
2.  Heat butter in a saucepan over med. heat and add onion.  Cook for 3-4 minutes or until soft
Add peas, half and half and season with salt and pepper.  Simmer until thickened, about 3 to 4 minutes.
3.  Cube ham and add to sauce.  Cook until heated, about 1 to 2 minutes.  Toss sauce with pasta.  
4.  Serve with grated parmesan cheese


Enjoy...what are your kiddos favorite meals?  Please share!





6 comments:

  1. You HAVE to plan! That I have found is the best way. When I don't I spend way too much money. Every Thursday night I sit down and right a menu for the week and then a grocery list off that. We eat a lot of chicken meals. Not every kid likes it, but everyone eats what I make. I make new meals all the time. The kids hate it. THey ask me every day what we are having for supper and their next question is if we had ever had it before. I love it. I grew up eating the same thing all the time.
    I might have to try the first recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your system for doing the whole month on one sheet. My husband and I have recently started trying to be better about planning out our meals each week. It would be nice to actually remember what we had recently :) Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey! I'm a new reader on your blog. So cute by the way... just wanted to share something with you since I just started this last week.. but on my blog on the right side is a button called, "this week's recipes" and every week I will be posting my menu. They are all healthy recipes. Anyway if you are interested here is my blog so you can check it out.
    www.libby-bonjour.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. here is the blog post that explains it :)
    http://libby-bonjour.blogspot.com/2010/05/this-weeks-recipes.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love meal planning! Those recipes you posted look great, I will try them next week! I LOVE pasta!
    Here is one of my favorite summer pasta meals:
    http://thelarsonlingo.blogspot.com/2009/09/colorful-bowtie-alfredo.html
    And, this is a really easy meal also:
    http://thelarsonlingo.blogspot.com/2009/09/tomato-mozzarella-basil-pesto-panini.html

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment--Melissa