http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z104/danielle982/2011/Two%20Little%20Tots/twolittletotsnavigation4.png

June 24, 2010

thursday tip: making your house a home!

i am not really sure if i can call this a tip or not, but i feel like it is in a way.  since we have been under some mini construction at our house the last 2 weeks, i have learned a lot about how i deal with the mess others make...not very well!  and also, we will not do any other major house projects while the girls are at home full time...just too hard on us all!

but, one thing that i really learned was how to make your house a home...even a little bit more then i knew before.  i am not a professional interior designer at all, this is just what i learned in the last 2 weeks by changing our house to a home!  and i am sure these tips are not going to blow you out of the water...they are very basic, but it was an eye opener to me how much the small things really matter in a home!

first tip:  pictures!!!
i had to take down all of my pictures on the wall inside my house for the siding project.  it was crazy how naked the walls looked.  i now want to hang even more pictures on my walls!

see my naked walls:
 todd took all of the pictures down on the main floor and in the morning when i came down the stairs, i could not believe how bare the walls were.  it didn't even feel like our house.  so, if you have not hung pictures up...do it!  it makes the world of difference!



now with pictures:
 i don't even have a lot on my walls in the dining room, but just these 2 pictures make it so much more homey! 

second tip: shutters
not every house needs shutters, but wow does it dress up your house.  


no shutters, again i felt the house was totally naked...
and i think that is why i didn't like the color at first, it just didn't feel like my house yet...but then again we do have 32 shutters!



and now...the new shutters.  i am in love with the color too!

third tip:  window flower boxes

it is the only flowers i plant now...i love them and they are so easy!  again, not every house can have them, but it makes a huge difference i think.  we had them on our old house too!


we didn't have them when we first move into this house...and it was one of the first things i think we did and i have loved them ever since.  


no flower boxes:  this is our house when we first moved it.


with flower boxes!
i wish i grass was as green as it was when we first moved in...crazy how green it is!

again, these tips are nothing that are major and anyone can do them.   what house tips do you have...please share, i would love to know them!

8 comments:

  1. You've just sealed the deal for me in needing shutters. My wallet (and home) thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! Can I ask WHY you changed doors? You now have what I have but I WANT what you use to have. Will I be making a mistake?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pictures do really make all the difference. Our walls are still pretty bare and I'm slowly trying to add to them. Fresh flowers also help to me. Our grass was super green when we moved in too and I would love to be back there again. Enjoy your home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are great tips! I want your old front door too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We hung a shelf on the wall to put up small pictures of our extended family. I also added a vine of calla lilies to the top of a bare bookcase. I like to put something on top of shelves or stands, but not too much (don't want clutter!!). So, our TV cabinet has a clock, our wedding picture, and a candle. Our side table has 2 statues, a short shelf holds our bible, rosary box, and icon, and a tall shelf has a vase of flowers. For me, putting a decoration on a shelf or table 1) Stops me from putting stuff on there, causing clutter and 2) makes our home look cozier.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tips, I totally agree with all of them! Your house is seriously adorable! Another tip I have is that paint can make a HUGE difference (as you saw in my kitchen/family room post).

    ReplyDelete
  7. great tips! And how wonderful that you got a shout out from Clover Lane for the crayon roll up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow. Cute house! & great tips on all those blank walls- not a big fan of 'em. Just found your blog...from ??.
    I'm doing Becky Higgins Project Life. And Im looking for time to catch up too! Summer seems to have such possibilities...and then gets swallowed up.
    Love your blog & bookmarked ya
    Happy Summer
    ~Ada in Coastal Cali

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment--Melissa